Funeral At Llangunnor - Sir Lewis Morris
On Saturday Sir Lewis Morris was buried in the north east portion of the churchyard at Llangunnor, alongside the grave of his spinster sister, Rebecca, who predeceased him in 1861, and in line with that of his mother and father. The grave was lined with moss, intermingled with the leaves of the yew, juniper, and laurels by the gardener of Penbryn.
Sir Lewis Morris by London Stereoscopic & Photographic Company
albumen cabinet card, circa 1890 NPG x21419
© National Portrait Gallery, London
The funeral was a private one, confined to members of the family, this course being adopted in consequence of the delicate state of health of Lady Morris, who was unable to attend. An intimation had, however, gone out that friends wishing to join the cortege could do so at the Church, and numerous admirers availed themselves of this opportunity. The gloominess of the weather was in keeping with the mournfulness of the occasion, and a pathetic sight was to witness the small knots of country folk gathered here and there alongside the route, anxious to obtain a last glimpse of the coffin containing the mortal remains of him they loved so dearly in life, and who took in them the warmest interest, but consolation was found in the fact that the Knight of Penbryn "though dead, his works would live for ever." The heavy polished oak coffin, with massive brass fittings, bore the inscription engraved on a brass breastplate was:
Born January 23, 1833.
Died Nov. 12, 1907.
Prior to the removal of the coffin, a short service was held in, the hall by the Rev D D Evans (Vicar of Llangunnor). There was a profusion of beautiful floral tributes, the two placed on the coffin, in the hearse, being those sent by the widow and children. There were three carriages, the first containing the Bishop of St. David's, the Ven. Archdeacon Evans, and the Rev D D Evans. The other two carriages contained the following chief mourners: Mr Arthur Morris, Newcastle-on-Tyne (son and heir); Miss Morris and Ethel Morris (daughters) Mr C. E. Morris, solicitor, Penrhos, Carmarthen and the Rev John Morris, M.A., rector of Narberth (brothers); Mr Charles Morris, Carmarthen and Mr Jack Morris, Narberth (nephews); the Rev E T Roderick, Bosherton Rectory, Stackpole Court (cousin); Mr Lloyd Morris, Llanelly; and Lieut,-Col. Aslett, a near neighbour and friend. The route taken was along Mount Pleasant, passing the Babell Chapel, through Pensarn to Llangunnor rd., and in all the residences and houses, blinds were drawn in token of respect. At the Star Inn, the mournful procession turned up the narrow, stony highway, leading directly up the hill to the church near its summit. At the lych-gate the coffin was met by Bishop Owen, Archdeacon Evans, and the Vicar, the latter reading the Sentences as the mournful procession wended its way to the Church. Inside, the first part of the burial service was taken by the Vicar, and the Ven. Archdeacon read the lesson most impressively. The hymn, "Lead Kindly Light," was sung with much fervour and Miss Frances, of Myrtle Hill, gave an effective rendering of "O rest in the Lord" on the organ. The coffin was then borne to the grave by the local inhabitants, including three old and trusted servants, Mr Davies, carpenter, Penbryn, Mr Edwards, gardener, and Mr Nicholls, cottager, Pensarn. The scene around the grave was very impressive, and a hushed silence fell around, as the body was lowered into the grave, and the Archdeacon in measured tones commenced reading the second portion of the burial service. The committal prayers were solemnly read by the Bishop of the diocese, and then the congregation having joined in a feeling rendering of that beautiful Welsh hymn, "Bydd myrdd o ryfeddodau mawr," the Bishop pronounced the Benediction, and the great poet's wish expressed in verse, had been realised.
Amongst, those who assembled at the churchyard to pay their last tribute of respect to the great poet were: Mr Mervyn Peel, Danyrallt; Mr H J H Lawrence, Narberth; the Rev Canon Camber-Williams and Mrs Williams, Carmarthen; Mr J Lewes Thomas, Caeglas; Mr J Lloyd Morgan, K.C. M.P.; Mr R M Thomas (Town Clerk of Carmarthen and Secretary of the Welsh Church Commission); Mr E H Morris, Brynmyrddin Capt. E C Harries, Bryntowy (deputy Chief Constable of Carmarthenshire); Rev T R Walters, M.A., R.D., The Parsonage, Carmarthen; Principal W J Evans, M.A., Greenhill, Carmarthen Mrs Mayhew, Aberglasney; Mr Lester, Furnace Lodge, Carmarthen; Miss Jenkins, Penymorfa; Mr D C Roberts, J.P., Aberystwyth (chairman of the Cardiganshire Education Committee, representing the University of Wales); Mr Angus, Cardiff (registrar, representing the Welsh University, Cardiff); Dr Parry, Carmarthen (medical attendant to the family); Mr D C Parry, Llanelly (ex-chairman of the Carmarthenshire County Council); Mr David Francis, Eversley, Llanelly (who was a great literary friend and admirer of the deceased); Mr E S Aden, headmaster of the Carmarthen Grammar School; Mr J B Morgan, architect, Llanelly; Mr John Francis and Mr Jack Francis, Myrtle Hill, Carmarthen; Mr Walter Spurrell, J.P. Mr T E Brigstocke, J.P., C.C., Carmarthen; Mr D H Thomas, Starling Park; Mr D E Stephens, solicitor, Trawsmawr; Mr D D Davies, Cowell House, Llanelly (mineral agent at Llanelly to deceased); Mr H C Tierney, Carmarthen; Mr Henry Howell, J.P., Trevaughan; Mr J F Morris, solicitor, Bryn Roma; Mr Williams, Cambray House; Mr E J Collier, architect, Carmarthen; Mr B A Lewis, manager to Carmarthen Gas Company (of which Company the deceased had been a director for years); Mr A LI. Davies, borough accountant, Carmarthen; Mr W Jones (chairman) and Mr W Dunn Williams (conductor) representing the Carmarthen Male Voice Choir, of which choir the deceased was president; Mr George Morgan, Albert House; Mr R T Stedman Thomas, Bell Vue, Pensarn; Mr and Mrs Williams, Cwm, Mydrim (representing the Mydrim tenants); Mr E Colby Evans J.P., Guildhall square; Mr W Isaac; Mr Thomas Thomas, Myrtle Villa, Welfield road; the Rev. Hugh Phillips, Risca (ex-sheriff, chaplain for Monmouth); Mr Gwilym Samuel Carmarthen (representing the Carmarthen and District Teachers' Association); the Rev D J Thomas, Congregational minister, Carmarthen the Rev. T Rhondda Williams (at a lecture by whom on Monday night, at Carmarthen, Sir Lewis was to have presided.
Magnificent floral tributes were sent by the following: A large wreath of laurel leaves and arum lilies, with purple sash, "from his sorrowing wife," and a beautiful cross from the children - Amy, Arthur, and Ethel "to our dearest father," both of which were placed on the coffin; Mr C E Morris and Mr F Morris; Lord Glantawe and Miss Elaine Jenkins, The Grange, Swansea the Lord Bishop of St. David's and Mrs Owen, The Palace, Abergwili; Lady Lloyd, of Bronwydd, who sent a lyre with a broken string; Capt. Stewart, Alltyrodin; Mr and Mrs Gwynne Hughes, and Mr Henfrey, Tregeyb, a harp with a broken string; Mrs Mayhew, Aberglasney; Mr Ernest Collier, Carmarthen; Mrs D E Stephens and Davies, Trawsmawr; Mr D H Thomas, Starling Park; Scurlock; the Rev D D Evans and Mrs Evans, Llangunnor Vicarage; Mr and Mrs Aeron Thomas; Mr J Lewis Phillilp, Bolahaul, a close neighbour; Mr Lloyd, of Rhagaft, Corwen; Mr E Lloyd Morris: Lieut.-Col. Aslett and Mrs Aslett; "With the profound grief and deep respect of the University of Wales" Mrs and Mrs A Stewart Allen, The Grammar School, Carmarthen "In affectionate remembrance from the boys of the Grammar School, Carmarthen, where the deceased was first educated; "In loving memory, from Teddy and Billy" Miss Jenkins, Penymorfa; Mr and Mrs Timmins and family, Queens Park, Bristol; "From his gardener and coachman"; Rev and Mrs Edward T Roderick, Bosherton Rectory, Pem. "From Kitty, to her dear father-in-law and Phyllis to dear grandfather"; Ethel Lewis (laundress), and Jonah Nicholls (cottager), and one from Hannah; Fanny and Annie (maids at the house).
Other tributes, .Including letters and telegrams, were received from Lord Rendal; Sir Isambard Owen; Principal Roberts, and the Registrar of the U.C.W., Aberystwyth; Sir James Williams-Drummond, Bart. the lord-lieutenant of Carmarthenshire), Edwinsford; Col and Mrs Gwynne-Hughes, Glancothi; Mrs Reid, Spilman street; Miss Jenkins, Penymorfa; Sir D Brynmor Jones, K.C., M.P., and Lady Brynmor Jones; Sir John Williams, Dart., The Plas, Llanstephan; Mr Llewelyn Williams, M.P., and Mrs Williams; Mr R E Jennings and the Misses Jennings, Gellideg; Mr Joseph Joseph, Llangennech; Rev W A Edwards, Bridgend; the Dean of Wells; Mr and Mrs Stepney Gulston, Derwydd; Mr and Mrs H Brunel White, The Grange, Carmarthen; Mr John Francis, Myrtle Hill; Mr W Francis, Sidney College, Camb.; The Author's Syndicate; the Carmarthen Gas Company; Kegan Paul, the deceased's publishers; The fathers at St. Mary's Retreat, Carmarthen; Miss Gladys Lloyd, Mrs, Mr, and Miss Lester, Furnace Lodge, Carmarthen; Dr and Mrs E R Williams, Spilman street, Carmarthen; Capt. and Mrs Harries, Bryntowy; Sir Owen and Lady Roberts, Mrs Roberts, Cromwell road, London; Mrs Price, Glanmorlais; Mr Richard Tree, London; Mr D H Thomas, Starling Park; Principal W J Evans; Mr Edgar Jones, Barry; Mr and Mrs Bethridge, London; Mr T Davies and Son, Llanelly; Mrs Hearder, Carmarthen; Mrs & Miss Richards, Carmarthen; Mr and Mrs Belt, London; Mrs Clement Parsons, London; Mr and Mrs Morris Tonas, London; Mr and Mrs C N Speever, London; Rev Charles and Mrs Neil, London; Mr E Lloyd Morris, Llanelly; Mr Ernest Collier, Carmarthen (the architect of the observatory which is being built at Penbryn); Mrs Hart and family; Mr Mackenzie Bill.Source - Carmarthen Weekly Reporter 22/11/1907
If you spot any mistakes please contact us
Return to Llangunnor News Archive